Suburbs in the Bean electorate:
- Cotter River,
- Mount Clear,
- Paddys River,
- Rendezvous Creek,
- part of Jerrabomberra,
- part of Molonglo Valley,
- part of Weston Creek,
- part of Woden Valley
- and Norfolk Island.
Postcodes included: 2606 2607 2609 2611 2617 2620 2899 2900 2902 2903 2904 2905 2906
The Federal Division of Bean
The Bean electorate MP is David Smith (find out more about David here)?
Active Democracy Bean contact: Cath Blunt, email her here.
About the Bean Electorate
A safe Labor seat across the south of the ACT.
About Active Democracy Bean
We are a small group of Bean residents who have met regularly over the last few months.
Our goal is to increase community engagement in the democratic process in our Federal electorate of Bean. We live in the area and our group is not associated with any political party.
We have formed Active Democracy Bean under the umbrella of Active Democracy ACT and are part of a growing national movement that is concerned to improve the responsiveness of our political representatives to the voices of their constituents.
We are inclusive, welcoming and respectful, accepting views from across the political spectrum with a focus on the wellbeing and good of all.
We aim to:
- Run ongoing Kitchen Table Conversations KTC), engaging a wide variety of community members throughout our electorate.
- Publish reports periodically to feed back to the Bean community their voices as heard through the conversations they have participated in. These reports will also be a tool for communicating with our elected representatives (our Member of Parliament and ACT Senators), the media and the broader community on what we the community say is important to us.
- Develop additional two-way channels of communication between us and our elected representatives (e.g. meetings on topics of importance, consultations via the KTC method on government policy, other forms yet to be developed!)
- Improve our understanding of existing channels of communication with our elected federal representatives and of how the political system works.
Before the Federal election, our plan is to:
- Hold KTCs in the community. The questions for discussion are:
- What’s good about how our federal government works?
- How do you think our government could work better?
- What do you see as the job of our local MP? How well are they doing it?
- What issues would you like them to work on?
- Release a report of the findings
- Hold a forum with candidates for the Bean electorate
After the Federal election, we aim to establish an ongoing relationship with the successful candidate.
If you would like to join us or run a KTC please email us.
The more voices that are heard, the stronger this process will be.